Rocky Mountain Turf Club offers an abundance of entertainment and services to the Lethbridge community, featuring a Casino and Bar, Venues for Events, and Horse Racing.
WHAT AN IMPACT!
Horse Racing Alberta
Horse Racing, under the direction of Rocky Mountain Turf Club at Whoop-Up Downs, has made a very significant impact on the economy of Southern Alberta, not only in the horse racing and breeding community itself, but impacting hay and feed operators, hotels, motels, service stations, and the food industry, not to mention shopping and tourism spin-offs. Total annual impact on Lethbridge and Southern Alberta exceeds $40 million per year.
Rocky Mountain Turf Club has created significant benefits for Horsemen, and for the entire horse racing industry. Horsemen are now receiving a better return on their investment not available before 1996.
Today at Whoop-Up Downs, compared to 1995 when RMTC(Rocky Mountain Turf Club) took over:
- The minimum purse per race in 2011 is $3,000 compared to only $600 in 1996, a 500% increase!
- The average daily purse total is about $24,500 in 2011 compared to only $8,200 in 1995, a 300% increase!
- Total purse increase from $215,000 in 1995 ($200,000 of which were grants) to nearly $1.5 million in 2011, a 700% increase, with all the funds now generated from RMTC’s Lethbridge initiatives.
- Alberta bred horses receive bonuses of %20 added to their purses. There are also Alberta Bred Stake Races with minimum purses of $7,500.
- 50 live racing days in 2011(plus one at Millarville) up from 18 in 1995, a 180% increase! There’s also a seamless racing season from May through October for B track runners, including the races at Lethbridge, Millarville & Grande Prairie.
- Over $5 million total handle in 2011 up from $700,000 in 1996, a 714% increase! RMTC is one of the few tracks in America to have year after year parimutuel increases.
- Licensed horsemen were nearly 1,000 in 2010, compared to 330 in 1996, a 200% increase!
- The number of horses on the grounds has increased from 180 in 1996 to approximately 400 in 2011, a 120% increase!
- In addition, community groups have received and benefitted nearly $1 million in benefits from RMTC since its inception in 1996, benefitting groups like the Food Bank, Handicapped Riding Association, 4H, Kids’ School Breakfast Programs, Injured Jockey Support, Cancer Programs, Amateur Sports, etc.
- Lethbridge has the best percentage of horses “out of the gate” in North America for the past 5 years
Take in the exciting live horse racing at the Rocky Mountain Turf Club. Races are free to watch at the event centre. The club’s race days also include kids activities and a mini market to make it a family day at the races.
ALBERTA IS HORSE COUNTRY
Horse Racing is a significant part of Alberta History, Culture & Economic Development
Rocky Mountain Turf Club has many attracting accommodations and venues for everything from wedding receptions to concerts. We have 5 large floors with many assorted rooms decorated and ready for when you are!
Dine with Bully’s featuring Vegas style slot machines and VLTs, unique atmosphere, and great food.
What People Say
Wings are always on special:)! With a few glasses of draft beers and enjoying the seasonal live horse racing and casino here at Bully’s! Breakfast price is also unbeatable! Great place to visit and lots to do!Sherrie W
Great food. Great music. Very welcoming. Connie is an awesome waitress. Rosie did a great job of organizing this event.Tyke B
The best value for money for Breakfast in town. Two eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, hash brown potatoes and coffee for $4.50. Who can beat that? Service was quick and the endless coffee made it even better. While the tables are spread around the gaming floor and its a bit noisy who care for a full meal at the price of a fast food muffin. I would recommend Bully’s any day.Ward G